In the many years of Ashram's existence we came across rural patients suffering from Cancer. As there was no diagnostic centre, most of the patients came to know about the disease in an advanced stage where cure was not possible. Also in absence of Cancer hospital near Vadodara, the villagers had to travel to Ahmedabad or Mumbai. Most villagers feeling lost in big cities avoided going there. The main idea behind the hospital is not just having world class facilities, but making these facilities available to every segment of the society.
Since inception, the Ashram has always come across patients of cancer who:
- live in villages
- have no local access to early-detection and treatment services
- avoid travelling to big cities due to cost, language, and cultural barriers, and
- usually lose their lives to the disease
To help stop this almost entirely avoidable cause of the destruction of so many families and so much human-wealth, Muni Seva Ashram, together with many philanthropists and donors around the world, founded the Kailash Cancer Hospital and Research Centre. This center of healing and research makes available the best and the most affordable healthcare to everyone in the society, regardless of their religion, caste, creed.
KCHRC was the first hospital in the state of Gujarat to offer:
- High-energy linear accelerator, with a multileaf collimator, an inverse-planning system for intensity modulated radiotherapy, and a simulator. These are used to shape radiation beams as per the dimensions of tumors, to deliver precise doses, and spare damage to nearby normal tissue. At present, some 90 to 95 patients are treated every day. Many more fail to benefit, as we have only one such machine and an increasing number of people are being diagnosed today than ever before.
- Multi-detector, 16-slice CT scan - a high speed scanner for Radiology that takes takes ultra-thin sections and true 3D images
- Full-field digital mammography unit, used for early detection and treatment of breast cancer
- Positron emission tomography with STE technology, helpful in diagnosing, staging, and monitoring treatment in Oncology, Neurology, Cardiology, and other conditions.
The hospital also has:
- Conventional radiology, sonography and doppler units
- A well-equipped histopathology lab with Thermo Scientific equipment
- A pathology lab with Dry Chemistry Analyser, a fully-automated ELISA reader, and an Enhanced Chemilunminescence Analyser (ECI) kit
- Blood Banking and Component Therapy to test donated blood, and minimise immunologic complications of transfusion
- 10 operation theaters to perform all kinds of cancer-related surgeries
The hospitals at Muni Seva Ashram treats 60,000 patients each year. Till date the hospitals have treated nearly 12,00,000 patients suffering from various diseases and medical interventions. KCHRC has treated nearly 15,000 patients of various types of cancer.